Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Savannah King : Sweet, Simple & Backed Up By A Hard Working Team

Another day, another fantastic artist. I came across today's artist while looking up covers of Coldplay's "Viva La Vida". Although I'm not a great fan of Coldplay, and feel they are a copy of U2, I think it's a decent song. So, when looking up the covers, I finally came across Savannah King's cover, which is likeable for a bunch of reasons. Aside from her lovely voice, her friend (I assume she's her friend) Bridget Laughlan features on violin. The sweet and melancholy sound against Savannah's simple guitar/piano track adds to the expression of Savannah's deep voice. Additionally, it seems that she had a team of people helping her out with the video, which is definitely interesting. Take a look for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkoEjn4RGIY

Really sweet and simple cover. Nothing over the top and fancy, which worked for the song. I must admit the video struck me as a little odd, it seemed like something Depeche Mode would have done. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm referring to their masterpiece "Enjoy The Silence", have a look at the video. I am not too sure what Savannah was thinking with the video, but it was definitely something to think about. Regarding the song, I actually preferred it stripped down and very raw, unlike the original recording, which definitely "borrows" too much from Satriani's "If I Could Fly". But, let's put Coldplay's plagiarism aside for now and get back to important matters, Savannah.

She doesn't have a lot of videos available on her youtube channel, but what is there is definitely quality stuff. I have to admit, it looks like her and her team put a lot of work into the videos. I know from experience, putting together a good video, sound wise and getting the visuals to an acceptable point can be a lot of work, especially if you're hard on yourself. From the title on the video, to the audio/video itself, to the performance, to the writing underneath the Youtube video, it's a lot of work. Some of you may know what I'm talking about, for those who don't, you may want to give it a shot to see what it's all about.

Another video of hers that I really dug is a cover of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi". Probably my all time favourite Joni Mitchell song, and I love Savannah's rendition. She keeps it simple once again, and against a swirly, almost middle Eastern background, she definitely pulls you in. I actually liked this cover more than the cover of "Viva La Vida". Maybe it's because I appreciate Joni Mitchell more, but I think it's because it really gave Savannah the opportunity to show off another side of her voice. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ObAqWyIACc

Really nice cover. The background sort of reminds me of the background that Led Zeppelin put up during their performance of "Kashmir" at their reunion "Celebration Day" in London, in 2007. So, at this point in each day's blog, I usually write about the artist's original material, which I didn't come across on her Youtube (unfortunately), but luckily, there are a few originals you can check out on her Facebook page. Needless to say, make sure you subscribe to her Youtube channel and "like" her Facebook page, to keep her in mind, and definitely check out her originals. But for now, have a listen to her very interesting cover of "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxg5E1LfrcU

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment